NOTICE OF JOB OPPORTUNITY
Executive Director: Job Description
Islands Oil Spill Association seeks a new Executive Director. IOSA is reorganizing to meet new challenges to the fragile Salish Sea ecosystem. IOSA provides works with San Juan County community members, recreational boaters, government agencies and the oil industry to ensure that San Juan County oil spill response systems are community-based, quick and effective in the event of an oil spill. Numerous ecologically sensitive marine locations in and around the San Juan Archipelago must be protected.
If you are excited by the challenges of protecting the waters of the Salish Sea and the life that depends on it, please submit your letter of interest and resume to: email@example.com
The Executive Director, as a resident of San Juan County, is the key management leader of IOSA. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance:
- Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading IOSA in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by IOSA’s Articles of Incorporation and its Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of IOSA, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support IOSA’s mission.
- Responsible for fundraising, developing other resources (Grant writing, seeking financial assistance from industry, governmental agencies.)
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of IOSA’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that IOSA can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of IOSA’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations.
- Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible effective administration of IOSA operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization subsequent to approval by the IOSA Board of Directors.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of IOSA’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate the organization and the community which it supports.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
Actual Job Responsibilities:
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as IOSA’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance IOSA’s Mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization throughout the State.
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.