IOSA provides free training for San Juan County residents interested in becoming oil spill responders.
Types of training available are:
- Containment, recovery and diversion of oil on the water;
- Oiled bird search and rescue, basic care, and advanced treatment;
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response safety training (Hazwoper) for oil containment and oiled wildlife responders;
- Coordination of different aspects of an oil spill response.
You can train to become a containment responder or an oiled wildlife search & rescue/basic care responder, or both.
We also need volunteers to manage other aspects of response, such as:
- Logistics including transportation of people, supplies and oiled birds;
- providing food for spill responders;
- assisting with communications;
- and many other jobs!
If you are interested in a non-oil or non-wildlife handling job, please let us know in the below contact form.
Please fill out our contact form if you are interested in participating in our training sessions.